Associate Scientist, Virology (PhD Required)
Full Job Description
The associate scientist in virology will be involved in conducting infectious diseases research programs directed at developing novel broad-based host-targeted anti-viral and immunomodulatory therapeutics against influenza and other viral infections. The candidate will write scientific publications, grant and patent applications, and investigational new drug (IND) applications. The responsibilities of this position include developing and executing cell-based assays, in vitro, ex vivo and in vivo to characterize biological mechanisms of action of novel immunotherapeutic product candidates for the treatment of infectious diseases. The associate scientist will have ample and documented experience in cell culture, virus generation and propagation, as well as molecular biology, immunology and biochemical techniques. We are looking for a highly motivated and collaborative individual with a passion for research who enjoys working in a fast-paced and highly dynamic working environment. The candidate will be aligned with four fundamental pillars of BTI’s entrepreneurial corporate culture: 1) Be bold and decisive, 2) Never give up, 3) Be solution-oriented, and 4) Do the impossible.
- Experimental Design: Generate and test novel experimental hypotheses to advance discovery-based R&D at BTI. Propose controlled designs capable of robustly testing respective hypotheses to draw conclusions relevant to drug development research.
- Data analysis: Utilize established and novel methods to analyze data. Data types will include but are not limited to flow cytometry results, high-throughput sequencing, protein biochemistry assays, and histopathology.
- Data communication and reporting: Provide detailed reports of experimental results. Generate figures, presentations and publications to communicate results with scientific community, investors, and collaborators. Support the development of peer reviewed scientific publications, patents and grants relevant to ongoing research. Demonstrate innovation and strong problem-solving skills.
- General Laboratory Procedures: Perform various standard experimental assays including quantitative real-time PCR, Western blot, flow cytometry, and ELISA. Work in sterile conditions to conduct cell culture experiments and maintain the growth of cell lines. Express and purify recombinant protein. Collect and analyze generated data.
- Personnel Training: Training of BTI personnel on laboratory upkeep, experimental assays and research projects. Guide the personnel resourcing of projects and tasks.
- Animal Procedures: Conduct various IACUC approved laboratory animal procedures and techniques for BTI’s projects including but not limited to basic rodent handling, oral gavage, intraperitoneal injection, blood collection, and euthanasia. Interact with animal facility personnel to maintain organization and compliance of animal facilities. Will design new animal studies for projects related to therapeutic efficacy or mechanisms of action of new drugs for infectious diseases.
- Virology: Perform mammalian cell culture and independently develop, run, analyze and troubleshoot in vitro assays, such as cell-based activity assays, virus generation and propagation, and high throughput screening assays. Use developed screening assays to validate the characterize novel therapeutic products.
- Teamwork: Work independently and collaboratively in a matrixed environment. Be able to successfully work with other BTI team members in experiments.
- Regulatory Compliance: Support regulatory compliance efforts as instructed by the senior leadership in accordance with IACUC, IBC, and IRB protocols. Implement, organize and maintain regulatory compliance records.
- Record keeping: Timely documentation of experiments and activities in electronic archive systems. Keep detailed records of all activities, record these activities in Google Drive, laboratory notebook, the BTI’s Colony Management System (CMS), and Labkey. Provide weekly updates of the BTI research progress to the CSO, and BTI team. Maintains confidentiality of all data, information and knowledge.
- Maintain the confidentiality of all company deliberations and plans.
- Any new responsibilities or changes in the reporting structure as directed by the executive leadership.
- Act in accordance with Company’s policies.