Safer and more effective nutritional products from nature’s innovation
Glycemic Control (ABA)
Major Health Problem
Metabolic Syndrome, Diabetes and Prediabetes
- It is estimated that 34% of adults in the U.S. have metabolic syndrome.
- About 28.3 million Americans have type 2 diabetes (T2D) and over 20% of middle-aged adults have prediabetes.
- The total direct and indirect costs attributable to T2D in the United States is over $132 billion.
- As the rates of obesity and T2D in the U.S. continue to rise, an increasingly large number of people are becoming reliant on expensive oral anti-diabetic drugs with demonstrated adverse side effect.
Despite this growing problem, pharmaceutical manufacturers have been unable to develop medications that are safe and highly effective. Additionally, there is an unmet need for medications targeting prediabetes.
ABA GRAS Food Ingredient
- ABA is an innovative health food ingredient that fills an unmet clinical need for the nutritional management of glycemic control.
- ABA is a safe alternative to current treatments for addressing glycemic control.
- ABA has numerous health benefits in diabetes and inflammation, and it was recently demonstrated that ABA is produced and released in brain tissue and may play a role in depression.
Metabolic Syndrome: A grouping of biochemical and physiological risk factors – high blood pressure, high blood sugar, unhealthy cholesterol levels and obesity.
Prediabetes: A condition in which blood glucose levels are higher than normal but not high enough to be classified as diabetes.
Type 2 Diabetes: A metabolic disease in which the body does not properly process glucose due to inadequate insulin production and/or the body’s cells lack of response to insulin. This results in high blood glucose.